5 Things About 2015 So Far
5. Spent Friday night of my birthday with our friend the prison psychologist and his partner, hitting bars and then eating diner food. I like to remind our friend that he's not a real doctor since he can't write prescriptions. He, in turn, likes to remind me I don't know how to walk in high heels. I think that makes us even. Spent Saturday of my birthday weekend eating fabulous food (Out the Door at the Ferry Building, then Ad Hoc in Yountville) and luxuriating at a swank hotel that had its own pillow menu. (Hello room service, will you bring me more down pillows? You will? That's great news.)
4. Nine days until Oscar night. Oscars are a holy day of obligation for me. I have two more films left to see to complete all the major categories: Selma (Best Picture) and Whiplash (Best Supporting Actor for J.K. Simmons). I've seen two of the five documentary nominees and none of the foreign language, and I think it may be too late to do anything about that. Must hunt around and see what, if anything, is rentable.
3. There's a great deal of stress and upheaval in my worklife right now. Do we do it all or do we target more precisely what we want to do? Where do we all fit in the mission? Is the mission clear enough to even me? I wish I had better answers. Strangely, reading stories about David Carr, who died Thursday night--at the office--is giving me hope. He saw things with enviable clarity. I will miss seeing his column every Monday, the first thing I went to in the New York TImes.
2. A three-day weekend should help alleviate just a little of the stress. There's puttering to do, and books and the full series of Bosch streaming on Amazon. I need time with my people. The people in my house are my people. My other people live just a few miles or a few hundred miles away.
1. Tomorrow may be a beach day. Moss Landing Beach, specifically.